Education in Union Territory of Ladakh
The Union Territory of Ladakh strives hard to provide education to all children and youths. Various private and public schools are being run in order to provide education to the students. To serve education to all the School Education Civil Secretariat Department was established in the year 2019. Its vision is to promote development of an enlightened and prosperous Ladakh. The department is responsible to manage and administer school education across the territory. So more and more children should go to school following schemes are brought into practice:
- Supply of free textbooks up to 8th
- School uniform free of cost.
- Winter uniform
- Merit-cum-poverty scholarship.
- Hostel facilities Scholarship.
- Girls’ attendance scholarship.
- Incentive awards for the meritorious students at District level.
- Incentive awards to best teacher for enrolment drive in primary school etc.
- Tablets for the students of class 6th-12th.
Samagra Shiksha is also functioning under the umbrella of School Education Department Ladakh.
Schools are well distributed throughout Ladakh but 75% of them provide only primary education. 65% of children attend school.
The Students' Educational and Cultural Movement of Ladakh (SECMOL) is an Indian non-governmental organisation based in Ladakh, India. Built by using simple, low-cost traditional techniques, the campus now comprises three residential houses, 20 small "cell rooms" and a large school building, all solar heated.
The Department of Higher Education is headed by a Commissioner Secretary. It’s responsible for the overall development of the basic infrastructure of Higher Education sector, both in terms of policy and planning.